Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Disney Countdown Calendar

It makes it so much easier for children if they can visually see how many days until their holiday, and even better if they can see the number of days getting less.
I had seen quite a few countdown calendar ideas on Pinterest, and this is one I thought I would base mine on.

But once I got started, I couldn't get Mickey's ears look right. So I modified it and came up with a different way of doing this.

So here is one of the calendars I made (each of my girls got their own)...
I won't tell you exactly how to make this as it is easy to work just by looking at it, but here are some points...

  • I started by cutting strips of light weight card stock. They measured 1" by 6". The loops for Mickey's ears were 1" by 3".
  • I used a standard hole punch to make the buttons for Mickey's pants, these were glued on the red strips.
  • All other assembling was done with double sided tape.
  • Each link represents one day, I have seen some where each seperate Mickey represents one day, but since I made this 50 days prior to our trip it would have been far too long.
  • Each link (apart from black ones) have the date written on the inside so that the kids can confirm they are removing the correct link.
  • The sign at the top was printed using the Walt Disney font which can be found free online.
  • This was layered with the red and yellow card and I used pinking shears to cut each layer slightly larger than the previous one.
  • The black card stock was folded into a fan and double sided tape was used to attach.
It is very exciting to see the links disappear each day, they started with 50 links and today they only have 16 links left.

No comments:

Post a Comment